"Many know that WHM was closed during World War II under martial law. But, did you know that the temple facilities at the Vineyard Street campus was used by the Red Cross and Civil Defense agency? And did you know that the Japanese language school classrooms were used for public school classes by Wailuku Jr. High, now known as Iao School?"

 

1946-1979

In 1946, Reverend Yoshio Hino became our eighteenth resident minister and he reorganized the Riji Kai from each district. The Wailuku Hongwanji Mission’s constitution, by-laws, policy, rules and regulations were established. In 1947 the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and Judo Club were reactivated and the Gakuen was reopened in 1949. In 1952 the present temple and Nokotsu-do were constructed. This was the golden anniversary and a huge celebration was held to honor our members. In March, Abbot Kosho Ohtani and Lady Yoshiko Ohtani visited Maui and 425 members received confirmation rites. Reverend Hino served until 1952. Reverend Kodo Fujitani became our nineteenth resident minister and served us from 1952 to 1958. During this time, a new minister’s residence and Judo hall were completed (1954).

In 1956 Wailuku Hongwanji Roselani 4-H Club was organized. Reverend Yoshiaki Fujitani became our twentieth resident minister. He served us from 1958 to 1960. Reverend Shushin Kan became our twenty-first resident minister and served us from 1960 to 1961. Reverend Shoten Tamekuni became our twenty-second resident minister and Wailuku Hongwanji celebrated its 65th anniversary and held the 700th memorial observance for Shinran Shonin in 1964.

In 1968 the Rakuen Club for senior citizens was started. Reverend Tamekuni served us from 1961 to 1968. Reverend Norito Nagao became our twenty-third resident minister and served us from 1968 to 1975. In 1969 the dedication of the nursery and daycare center was held. In 1974, Abbot Kosho Ohtani and Lady Yoshiko Ohtani and Heir Apparent Reverend Koshin Ohtani visited Wailuku Hongwanji Mission. On May 26th a dedication ceremony of the bronze statue of Shinran Shonin, which was placed at the entrance of our temple, was held. Wailuku Hongwanji Mission also celebrated the 800th anniversary of Shinran Shonin’s birth, the 750th anniversary of Jodo Shinshu and the 85th anniversary of Honpa Hongwanji Mission of Hawaii. Reverend Thom Nakanishi became our twenty-fourth resident minister, serving us from 1975 to 1986. On October 1975, Wailuku Hongwanji Mission observed its 75th anniversary. Seventy-two new pews were donated by different families and installed at the temple. In 1980, the Dharma lecture series were started and Dr. Alfred Bloom was the first presenter. He spoke on the comparison of Buddhism and Christianity. In 1980, the Wailuku Hongwanji Fujinkai observed its 80th anniversary with Bishop Yoshiaki Fujitani as the officiator.

Go to top